Some History of Ambleside
Braithwaite's were the principle builders in the 17thandl8th century. They were statesmen, millers and traders.
Wiliam Green settled in Ambleside in 1800. He wrote the first advertisement for Ambleside and termed it a guide, he wrote, "There are several lodging houses in Ambleside but it is a matter of surprise there are not a larger number as during the travelling season when all such houses are full more are required for all who wish to see the country. Furnished houses pleasantly planted will soon be tenanted" but when the houses were erected he complained that Ambleside had been blasted from the artist's point of view (nothing changes does it?)
Ambleside was then a large coaching centre and had a flourishing market as well as bobbin mills. The stage coach still ran for another 50 years. The Whitehaven coach left Kendal every morning except Sunday at 5.00 a.m. and passed through Ambleside at 8.00 a.m. and from Whitehaven would reach Ambleside at 6.00 p.m. and Kendal at 9.00 p.m..
In the 19th century the coaches ran for pleasure. In the early years of the century as many as 20 coaches were running and it went a long way to establishing Ambleside as a centre for tourism but in the early 1920*s the coaches carried scores but the motor coaches carried 100's.
Ambleside got a charter for a wool market and two annual fairs in 1650. The wool market started with a bell and the cattle market was outside the Salutation Hotel.
In 1676 the townsfolk secured the rights to be christened, married and buried in the old chapel of St Anne's, prior to that those who lived Above Stock went to Grasmere and those Below Stock to Bowness.The old chapel had been re-dressed fit to protect" the simple worshippers from sun and showers".
The new town extended towards the lake. The road from Central Buildings to Low Nook i.e. Rydal Rd opened in 1833. At the beginning of the 19th century the County Council was to widen the road from Stock Rd over the bridge but it spared the Old Bridge House. The new road from Mason's Corner to Lowfold was opened in 1865. The Kelsick and school property began to be let for building sites. A generation later further development property owned by the late Mr Watson came on to the market and opened a new portion of the town. Compston Rd was opened and this brought Millans Park onto the market, it is now a residential area. The Park was bought by Mr Jackson and as a builder he was responsible for the building work. The new church was completed in 1854 and the Steamer Pier built in 1850. Stock Ghyll park was bought for £4,100 between 1879 and!887 and Rothay Park cost £1,100 in 1902.
Property surrounding Stock Ghyll Force owned by Watson's of Calgarth, and at the end of the 19th century claim was made that there was a right of way through the wood.
When the property came on the market word is it was bought by Mackereth's of Nelly Close.